Sunday, December 24, 2006

I survived brooklyn

I made it. and God was it nuts. I'll go back, but way after the holidays. Loads of people, Target & Marshalls lines 100 shoppers long. I'm not one for crowds, so I made my return to the Marshalls service desk and hit the road. well... subway

On my ride back, I sat next to a family. 2 brothers, late twenties and their parents. Here's what I heard.

Mother: So, can we have a wrapping party tomorrow morning? Coffee, the New York Times and gifts?

Son #1: Sure, I'll pick up bagels

Father: After that we can make a plan on where we still need to go and what we need to pick up.

Son #2: Sounds good to me.


...and then there's me. I looked over at this happy family. Son #1, clearly gay. very nice looking an dressed to the nines in the latest casual male fashion. son #2, not a new yorker, or maybe a past new yorker. he had a calm about him that screamed not of the city. ( i envied his calmness) but most of all, I wish I could be there. grabbing coffee and wrapping presents with an everything bagel and cream cheese, surrounded by a big family, carrying on about how the paper is too thin, or how this one present wouldn't fit a certain family member.

My family is spread out over the country this year for the holidays. I knew in my heart of hearts that I've move to NYC in 2006, but I wasn't sure dead-on sure until i got the job offer, so I never booked a flight. Who knew where I'd fly out of.

So this year, I'm home, in nyc with my brother visiting, I'm really looking forward to it, but i'll miss being surrounded by family and the little ones.

On a lighter note, I bought my first big purchase since moving here (aside from renting the apartment), a rug. I'm still not sure, I'll post a picture soon, and take a poll.

The purchase put me in such a good mood, I was ready to spread some holiday cheer so I met up with Di, my former Hoboken roomie, had a bunch of beers a burger and then some wine back at the old place. Around 12:45 I thought it was time to head on home back to the city. Now, this time of year, there are plenty of tourists around mingling, shopping, sight seeing at all hours, but sometimes it can be a little scary riding the trains late at night.

You know a good pal when you can call them at any hour just for a walk home. I'm lucky to have one. So there's a history there, but I think we're both past that. It's usually just one of us rambling nonsense, reliving old memories and laughing about them. It makes the walk from Union Square shorter, and I sleep better knowing that someone cared enough at 2:30 am to keep me safe regardless of what city either of us are in. call it chivalry, kindness or what have you, but it warms the heart either way.

on that note. I am going to tuck into bed, and sleep late tomorrow. I have a date tomorrow afternoon with Picasso at Met that I would not want to miss.

No comments: