peaches to apples

So I left the comfort of Atlanta and moved back to Jersey for a job in nyc and have the blisters to prove it. I exhale when the PATH makes its first stop into the Christopher St. station, 100 feet below the city I am at ease.
So now life is a series of acronyms symbolizing routes. I take the PATH to the N,R to 7th and 42nd, the S over to Grand Central. The 4,5,6 will get me over to the LES (lower east side) an area that I’m told I’ll love, but according to brokers, can’t afford. They just don’t have hope, and that’s the difference between them and me. I do.
Hope comes on the side of a coffee cup these days. Before moving, a Peachtree St Starbucks gave me a taste of life along side my grande non fat sugar free vanilla latte. It’s a quote from Augusten Burrough, author of Running with Scissors.
“I used to feel so alone in the city. All those gazillions of people and then me, on the outside. Because how do you meet a new person? I was very stumped by this for many years. And then I realized, you just say, “Hi.” They may ignore you. Or you may marry them. And that possibility is worth one word.”
And that gives me more hope.
So here’s to adapting to a new city, finding apartment and trying to keep a stern expression when dealing with brokers.
As for the blisters? I just hope to find a new pair of shoes.
No comments:
Post a Comment