No, tell us what you really think Ms. Lauren
I have a problem. I'll admit it. I have a very hard time controlling my facial expressions. One of my dear friends has the same issue, she, like myself, must buy dark colored sunglasses so no eye rolling is caught by those involved in conversation. The said problem is what brings me to the subject of my current post, stress.
I'm stressed. And at this point, only 3 months into a new job, it's something I feel nobody should see. I've always been one to ask for help when I need it, but now it's a completely different story. I'm not sure if it's some undying need to prove myself or just a different set of conditions to work under. I'm not in over my head, but I'm in definite need of a snorkel.
Which brings me to my current state. Last week was a shit-show, and has seemingly carried over into this week. The agency's closed from Dec 22- Jan 2, so you can imagine everyone wanting to get their campaigns off to a roaring start before the new year. Since I am one of the only folks not spending my holiday out of state or country, I've got a full plate, and then some seconds. Which normally would not be a problem, but as many of us know who still hold onto our 'skinny jeans' fitting massive campaigns into 4 days when the original schedule allots 4 weeks, is a bit of a tight squeeze. And apparently, my face said that for me. great.
So a semi- early night at work, 8:15 or so, with a doggy bag of estimates to do upon my arrival home left me a bit uneasy as I was walking out of the office. Then, in a city of thousands of cabs, you think I'd find one. No luck. So I settled for the bus, the 101 to be exact. Now, I'm not a bus person, I prefer the subway, but tonight's ride changed my point of view.
I get on, find a seat near the driver because God knows what stop I should get off on. We start chatting and he tells me of his hellish day. Turns out he is off tomorrow, and with 3 routes left to go for the night, he just wants his vacation to start without trouble. Then, a bike messenger had nerve to jump in front of his bus, stop, pause, then slowly pedal off.
Quote the driver, "Sometimes I get so stressed, I want to hit them. Run 'em over with my bus. The dumb f'ers."Now, normally this would scare me a tad. But 2 points popped into my head in the following seconds. 1. This is New York. and 2. Regardless of a your occupation there are stressors, they just take on different forms. And the sad part about it all, when I first jumped on the bus, I thought to myself. Wow, great job. driving, see all of New York, what is there to be stressed about?
Silly me to underestimate my 101 driver.
So. better get cracking on the estimates. Maybe I'll spend some time in front of the mirror practicing being stoic.
No comments:
Post a Comment