I can't say the same for the parking authority...

but let me tell you, the Hoboken Police Department, those are some quality individuals. Frankly, I don't know how the Parking Authority workers sleep at night. They must dream of booting and towing as I dream of good cheese and bread. (my mind rarely drifts from food...)
So, here's what happened. Friday night (10/23) I went out downtown with a couple of friends. The weather was getting nasty but we celebrated good times anyway. We had a couple of drinks, then a couple more and then were collectively in that happy-buzzed state. It got a little late so after a few hot dogs at papaya dog we parted and I caught a cab to the PATH. Once in NJ the rain and wind had gotten ten times worse and my poor little umbrella was not having it. The cab line was forever long so I thought I'd brave the elements.
The umbrella kept flipping inside out, the headphones pulled out of the jack on my ipod and it was raining sideways.... and then a cop car pulls up next to me. First thought? Crap. I've never gotten a ticket for public drunkenness, even considering all those times in college when we'd stumble down Easton Avenue singing at the top of our lungs. The policeman rolls down the window asks if I'm okay and as the umbrella shivers in the wind, I chuckle and say "it's just a little windy." So the nice policeman tell me to "get in, I'll drive you home."
unbelievable. (mind you I was in the front seat) On the short 5 minute drive we talked about how I am new to the area, what I thought about Atlanta (his boss spends a week there every 2 months) my soon to be NYC home---he even put the lights on once to pass a car. As he pulled up to the house he wished me a good night and said if I ever needed anything to give the department a call.
Now that's the kind of policeman a first grader wants to be when he grows up.
Hoboken PD? I salute you.
No comments:
Post a Comment