Sunday, October 08, 2006

Apply Directly to the Forehead...


Automatically you know what I'm referring to. Since tomorrow is another day in the world of JWT, I thought I'd bring up a spot that uses what I like to call the "Beetlejuice School of Advertising," sans Michael Keaton.

It's like studying for an upcoming vocabulary test, memorizing flash cards. Say it enough times in a row and they're bound to remember it, but remember it how?

The annoying 30 second spot probably cost under 10k to produce, but in it's own special way, it's brilliant. No one will actually buy the product for it's headache-relieving qualities, they'll buy it for the same reason my guy pals bought Axe body spray; to spray it on their unsuspecting friends making a mockery of the musky smelling cologne. And if a consumer does buy it hoping it will relieve their a.m hangover or child-screaming induced splitting headache, maybe the less intelligent was the desired demographic.

So a big bravo for the Art Director and Copy Writer. They may not win an ADDY for this one, but they will go down in some pop culture history book of fad products or an upcoming VH1 "I love the 2000's"- 2006 edition.

No comments: